Rocky Mountains Near Cranbrook

Monday 6 June 2011

Day 8, June 6th, Creston to Cranbrook (105km)

Sasquatch Stealing Canucks Gear
Frogs in the pond kept me up most of the night.  They were having a wild party on their Lily Pads that didn't stop until early morning.  I was camped across from the Columbia Brewing Company on a beautiful piece of grass.  The night would have been perfect except for the frogs.  The gaggle of birds woke me up early.  It was 5:00am.  I took a look outside my tent and saw the cloudy skies.  Someone had told me there could be thundershowers by the afternoon so I was determined to get off to an early start.  By 7am, everything was packed and I was ready to roll.  Looking across at the Columbia Brewing Company, I saw the sasquatch with his 12 pack of Kokanee.  Overnight, he had stolen a Canucks jersey and a hockey stick.  Too bad he didn't find any skates, he would have been terror on defense.

Train Stopped at Yahk
Today I headed towards Cranbrook.  In between Creston and Cranbrook is Yahk and Moyie.  A number of years back, Kyle Macdonald had a great idea.  He started off with one red paper clip and kept trading up until he traded for a house.  When interviewed on national T.V.  by George Stroumboulopoulos on The Hour, Kyle famously stated, "I will go anywhere in the world to make a trade except Yahk, British Columbia."  Of course his next trade ended up in Yahk B.C. and the rest is history.

For Sale, 80 Acres Under Water
Riding on cruise control, I blinked and almost missed Yahk.  A sign had said turn your clocks ahead.  I'm now in the East Kootenays on Mountain Time.  The rivers near Yahk are swollen.  Want to buy 80 acres near the riverfront?  The land is underwater right now.  At the only restaurant near the town, I had seen two racing bikes rigged with trailors parked outside.  What stopped me, was a gas station offering water and supplies.  The owner was an older fellow with emphysema who in a country drawl was quick to inquire "Where's your final destination son."  When I told him Toronto, he didn't bat an eye but offered, "Well, you won't make it there for dinner."  Looking out the window he said, "Are those guys with you?"

Marty From Burliington
The guys from the restaurant were passing in front of the gas station and gave a quick wave.  Hopping on my bike, I quickly caught up with the slower rider.  The stiff headwind was blowing his trailor all over the road. He said he could really feel the trailer as zig zagged behind his bike.  Leaving him behind, I took aim at the speed demon in the distance.  It took me almost an hour to catch Marty. Marty was rolling along at a pretty fast clip.  Like a predator I went after the prey.  After catching up, we both stopped and talked while waiting for his brother in law.  The Burlington boys are going to Newfoundland.  After 10 minutes, Marty's brother in law hadn't appeared so I resumed my trip.  Marty's a character and I hope to see him down the road.

1904 St. Pauls Chruch
The road to the next town was slightly uphill for most of the way.  Moyie is a small, abandoned mining town.  In the late 1800's, silver and lead were extracted from the ground at the Eugene Mine.  Like most small towns who's glory days have long gone by, the General Store and Church both seemed well preserved.  There's also a small gas station near the General Store for those looking to resupply.  St. Pauls Church in Moyie was of particular beauty so I quickly made a detour to take a picture.

Food for the Crows.
The rest of the ride through the Purcell Mountains into Cranbrook was smooth and easy.  To my right, I saw a gaggle of ravens with wildly flaying wings.  Looking over, I noticed a deer lay dead beside the road.  It was a sad sight to see but the deer is now a source of food for crows, flies and other animals that depend on nature's life cycle.  I stopped for a picture and resumed my trip to Cranbrook.

Today, Cranbrook serves as a major transportation hub for trains coming and going to the USA.  It is also the junction of major highways #3 & 93/95.  Past the mountains outside the city is Alberta...  Alberta, I can see it in the distance!  Rounding the bend 5km from Cranbrook provided me with my first glance of the Rocky Mountains.  I stopped to gawk in amazement.  A local pulled up and told me the view was a bit better down the road.  The contrast between snow capped peaks and the farming valley below is beautiful.  It won't be long before I leave B.C.  A days ride from here is Sparwood.  After Sparwood is the Crowsnest Pass and the border of Alberta.

The Rocky Mountains Peaking Over the Foothills.
Distance: 105km
Average Speed: 20.4km/h
Maximum Speed: 48.8km/h
Time: 5:05
Odometer: 895km

3 comments:

  1. The last photo is amazing! I want one in large size!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll email it. The resolution might not be good enough to supersize it

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The owner was an older fellow with emphysema who in a country drawl was quick to inquire "Where's your final destination son." When I told him Toronto, he didn't bat an eye but offered, "Well, you won't make it there for dinner." Looking out the window he said, "Are those guys with you?" "

    u could write a novel. :)

    ReplyDelete