Rocky Mountains Near Cranbrook

Sunday 5 June 2011

Day 7, June 5th, Nelson to Creston (118km)

Kootenay River Near Nelson
Rising in the morning to the sight of an empty dorm room, I packed my bags.  The White House in Nelson is a beautiful hostel.  Opening the window, I could already feel the heat. Today was going to be a scorcher!  I was getting up early to beat the heat.  The nice thing about starting off in Nelson is the amenities a big city has to offer.  A quick trip to Safeway and breakfast was served.  Today was going to be special.  My first destination was Balfor.  Balfor is home to the longest, free, fresh water ferry ride in the world.  This ferry takes over half an hour to cross Kootenay lake.

Racing to Balfor
Leaving Nelson I spotted the ferry schedule on a sign.  It was 8:30am and the sign said the next ferry sails at 9:50am.  After the 9:50am sailing, it would be past 11am before the next ferry sailed.  I was still 33km from Balfor.  This wasn't going to be your typical Sunday ride.  It was a time trial to make the early sailing.  Putting my head down, I drove the bike as hard as I could.  Luckily, most sections were flat but there were a few rolling hills.  Just before 9:30am, I hit the ferry terminal.  I had pushed really hard and averaged 34km/h.  I wish I could have stopped to take more pictures.  This ride along the lake was beautiful.

Line Up for the Ferry.  Near Crawford
I loaded my bike onto the Osprey.  As the ferry untied from it's moorings, it was quickly apparent that this was going to be  a beautiful trip.  There were so many nice cabins by the lake and barely a cloud in the sky.  On the ferry, I met a girl who wants to bike tour Canada one day.  She had such a positive, can do attitude that I really hope she gets her opportunity soon.  Everyone in and around these smaller cities is friendly. The ferry trip went by very quickly.  We were talking the whole trip so I hardly saw the scenery.  At the terminal is a steep hill that leads you up towards Crawford Bay.

Kootenay Lake Panoramic

The ride south along Kootenay Lake was spectacular.  Mind blowing panorama after panorama of the lake appeared through the trees.  On a break for lunch, 3 guys on bicycles pulled up to chat.  These guys were from Toronto and are riding from Vancouver to Newfoundland.  They all seemed like characters.  On a tight budget, they have been free camping.  They've even knocked on doors and stayed in peoples backyards.  For them. it really is a tour on a shoestring.  Today was their 10th day out of Vancouver.  At the moment, I'm 7 days out, so my pace is a bit quicker.  What's ironic is we've both run into the same people.  They knew about the two guys from Montreal and mentioned there are two French girls on the road ahead.  Apparently, I'm known as the soloist from Vancouver.  The guys offered me a place to stay when I hit Toronto.  My pace is a bit quicker, but hopefully we'll see each other down the road along the way.

Bear on the Road
Pushing on, I continued up and down a series of rolling hills.  A bear popped by to say hello.  From a distance, I stopped to take a picture.  After waiting a while, it didn't move so I decided to blow right by it.  As I neared the bear, it started to cross over to my side of the road.  My was heart pounding as I swerved around it. As I passed it, I could have literally patted it on the head.  It was surprising that he didn't run.  He looked pretty haggard.  It's been a long winter for bears this year. 

1913 General Store
After reaching the south end of Kootenay Lake, you enter an area of beautiful farmland.  I was out of water so I stopped at the 1913 Selkirk General store to try to fill my bottles.  The store was closed.  I rang the bell but no one answered.  After waiting 10 minutes, it was time to move on.  My situation was getting desperate.  It was too hot to to ride without water.  Luckily, a gas station appeared and I was able to get a couple of bottles of ice cold water.  In small towns, a lot of gas stations also double as liquor agents.  You can buy your beer and scotch while you fill up the tanks.  For cycle tourers, these outposts are a lifeline between population centers.  I try to support them as often as possible.  Without them, there would be long sections of highway where amenities are few and far between.  On these hotter days, I'm going to have to start carrying a lot more water.



Church in Creston
Today I made to Creston before 3pm.  I was happy to get here because the suns seems to be at its hottest between 1pm to 3pm.  Creston definitely has a more working class feel to it than the hippy town of Nelson.  Creston is famous for being the home of the Columbia Brewing Company.  Tonight I'm at a campground across the lawn.  I  look up and stare jealously at the Kokanee sign.
Farmland Outside Creston

Distance: 118km
Average Speed: 21.4km/h
Maximum Speed: 57.4 km/h
Time: 5:31
Odometer: 790km

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The two guys from Montreal, the two French girls on the road ahead, and the soloist from Vancouver. hahaha... This is a legendary on the road.

    Holding a Hofbräu and Cheers for you, Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers to you too! Hope your having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All your pictures make me feel I'm missing out on things!

    ReplyDelete