Rocky Mountains Near Cranbrook

Monday 13 June 2011

Day 15, June 13th, Moose Jaw to Regina (87km)

The Moose in Moose Jaw
After a few long days on the road, today was a day to take care of a few nagging problems with my bike.  Currently, my handle bars are slightly raised and angled up.  While this had been great for the climbs in B.C., the shorter length from my shoulder to bars was putting a lot of pressure on my hands causing them to numb up during longer rides.  Exploring Moose Jaw, I found a bike shop.  Unfortunately, they did not have the correct size for my bike.  I would have to go to Regina or perhaps Winnipeg to find the part.  Regina was my destination for the day.  After loading up with supplies, I set off for Saskatchewan's capital city.

Storm of the Day
The road from Moose Jaw to Regina is about as straight and flat as a road can get.  Today I was lucky to hit a prevailing tail wind and the ride seemed effortless.   Once again mother nature had other plans.  20km out of Moose Jaw, I hit a hail and lightning storm.  This time there was no avoiding it.  The winds intensified and shifted to the side.  Battling the crosswinds, I pushed into the storm.  Because of the intensity of the winds, the hail hit so hard that it actually hurt.  Lightning bolts were cracking all around me.  For a moment, I was awed by the ferocity of the display.  I slowed to find shelter but there was nowhere to hide on the open prairie.  5 more minutes of riding and I came across an overpass that clears the railway tracks.  I had, had enough!  Pulling my bike off the road, I took shelter underneath the overpass.  Setting up my camp stove, I made a quick lunch.  Half an hour later, the storm was gone and I could continue on my way.

The Legislature Building Saskatchewan
Looking behind me, I noticed another storm in the distance.  I pushed hard.  Regina was only 60 kilometers away.  After an hour of hard riding, I noticed the rain and hail bands had shifted to the northern side of the road.  While the storm was gaining fast, the brunt of it would probably miss me or so I thought.  Pulling into Regina, I quickly realized that Albert street runs directly North.  Once again, I was heading into the heart of a storm.  I quickly got into the city, snapped a few pictures of the legislature and took refuge in McDonalds.  The storm hit in full force a few minutes later.  The rain was so intense.  After 20 minutes, the storm passed to the east.  Blue sky and sunshine peaked through the clouds in its wake.  Saskatchewan really is "The Land of Living Skies."  It seems beautiful days can turn ugly within a matter of minutes out here.  

Late Growing Season on the Prairies
Regina is Saskatchewan's capital.  Over 100 years ago, the Dominion Act encouraged homesteaders to settle here.  For $10, a homesteader could purchase 160 acres of land.  Later, Regina would also become the territorial headquarters for the RCMP and a major stop on Canada's trans continental railway.  Louis Riel was put on trial here when his rebellion failed.  Today Regina is a major metropolis in the heart of the Canadian wheat belt.  While the cities economy still depends heavily on the agricultural industry, financial, telecommunication and light industrial industries have helped diversify the economy.  For me, it's a refuge from the endless grasslands of the prairie and as good of a place as any to watch the hockey game.  

Historic Downtown MooseJaw
Distance: 87km
Average Speed: 23.3km/h
Maximum Speed: 39km/h
Time: 3:42
Odometer: 1886km

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mark,

    This is Amanda Farnel from the Saskatchewan Festival of Words. We are a small literary festival based out of Moose Jaw. We love your picture of Historic Downtown Moose Jaw and we are hoping you would allow us to use your photo in our promotional materials.

    Please email me at festivaladmin@sasktel.net.

    Thanks so much,

    Amanda Farnel

    ReplyDelete