Rocky Mountains Near Cranbrook

Wednesday 22 June 2011

Day 24, June 22nd, Dryden to Ignace (109km)

Cycling to Ignace
"Not much between here and Ignace," stated the old timer at Tim Hortons.  "You'd better load up on supplies.  God... if I was in my 70's I'd try to do that too."  Glancing out the window, I saw the team from Montreal roll past the coffee shop on Highway 17. The headwinds were howling again today and they were riding single file in tight formation.  I figured I'd be able to catch them before this leg was done.  Beside Tim Hortons, I noticed the Extra Foods.  They had a 1kg parfait on sale $2.99.  What the heck, I'd already had breakfast but when your burning those calories within an hour, why not have a second one.  The lady at the till gave me that I can't believe your going to eat all that look.  "Not much between here and Ignace," I stated, quoting the old man without asking.  Decked out in my cycling gear on the eastern edge of town, it was obvious where I was going.  By the time I left Dryden, the team from Montreal was 40 minutes ahead of me.

Clouds Hang Over a Marsh
Today was a bit easier.  The distance was shorter, the hills were less frequent and the road was sheltered better from headwinds by thicker trees.  A nice thick layer of cloud coated the sky.  While the locals are complaining about the lack of sunshine, cloud is a cyclist tourers best friend as long as it doesn't rain.  My ears are still burnt from the two days of sunshine in B.C.  Leaving Dryden, I B-Lined it for Ignace.  There would be no amenities along the way.

Crosses Mark the Spot Where a Family Perished
First, I passed small rivers and marshy lakes.  Small fields dotted the landscape in between the pine forests that hugged the road.  This stretch of highway isn't that busy.  While gas is only $1.19 out here, I suspect a lot of freight is being shipped by rail rather than trucks.  There just doesn't appear to be a lot of semi's on the road.  As the shoulder narrowed to 18", I was grateful for the light traffic.  A truck carrying an oversized load honked, he needed more room.  The highway out here is mostly single lane so I pulled off the road.  Curves in this road can be dangerous.  There's crosses on the grass all along this route.  Wildlife bolting across the road compounds the danger.  There seems to be more dead deer hit by cars on display than living ones running through the forest along this stretch of highway.

Forging Ahead by a Lake
Halfway towards Ignace, the forest seemed to thicken.  There was little room between all the individual pine trees.  Vowing to take it easy, I took frequent breaks.  I even used the granite beside the road to set up my camera to take a few self portraits of myself as I road down the desolate highway.  It was a good day.  Not too cool but hot enough to wear a short sleeve jersey.  I pressed on.  At about 80km, my left quad started tightening up.  At about the same time, I saw Suzette in the RV pulled off to the side of the road.  The guys had stopped for lunch.  I waved and pushed on.  

Highway Junction Near Ignace
Getting close to Ignace, my left quad was getting worst.  It almost felt like it had been charlie horsed.  By now, that leg wasn't generating much power.  I was cycling with my right leg while the left just kept the crank turning.  Climbing the final hill before rolling into Ignace, I was glad it was a short day.  Pushing on would have been difficult.  Heading into the local grocery store, an old man and his wife said, "Son, there's not much between here and Upsala and that's over 100km away."

Messages in the Sand Beside Highway 11
Distance: 109km
Average Speed: ?
Maximum Speed: ?
Time: ?
Odometer: 3031km


4 comments:

  1. Son, it might be hard getting to Toronto on one leg. Take a day for yourself. Nice work on the self-portraits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll take one off in Thunder Bay. Tomorrow is short enough that it should be okay. Kind of worried how its gonna hold up on the longer stretches as it tightens up at 80 to 100km. Weather out here is cold. 12 degrees tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you can have a local rmt check it out, get some nice tlc on your easy day..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Carlo, there`s supposed to be a really good hostel 18km east of Thunder Bay. It was voted best in North America. For $20 you get your own room. I think I`ll hang out there and trade stories with the backpackers for a few days.

    ReplyDelete