Rocky Mountains Near Cranbrook

Friday 3 June 2011

Day 5, June 3rd, Greenwood to Christina Lake (66km)

Lake Fishing Near Greenwood
Ever notice how birds start singing at first light?  Today at 4:30am Greenwoods choir was louder than normal.  The birds were so loud, I couldn't fall asleep again.  I guess I shouldn't blame the birds, most people would scream if they jumped into a cold shower and today the morning dew was so thick that my tent was soaked.  At 800m, Greenwood is more than halfway up Eholt summit and it still feels like Winter up here.  Briefly, I contemplated starting early and pushing over Eholt summit (1028m), descending into Grand Forks (516m), then pushing up Paulson summit (1535m) before finally descending into Castlegar.   For once, common sense prevailed and I set out for Christina Lake just beyond Grand Forks.

Eholt Summit (1028m)
My first challenge today was the final 200m up to the top of Eholt summit.  Eholt was an easy climb.  At times, your legs would let you know you were climbing but your eyes would tell you the road ahead looked like it was sloping down.  This optical illusion played itself out all morning long.  It was a weird sensation because the downhill slope your eyes saw did not match the uphill slope your legs felt.  I had to look behind me several times for confirmation that I was going up a hill.  Mind games aside, I made Eholt summit well before noon.  There were no flowers on the summit sign this time so I wonder if I'm still chasing the couple I met in Osooyos or if I'm now being chased.  I put in a few dandelions just in case.

Descent Into Grand Forks
The 500m descent from Eholt to Grand Forks was fast but safe.  A strong headwind kept my speed in check.  For the final 5km, you are presented with sweeping views of the valley and orchards that surround the city.  I got into Grand Forks early.  So early that the restaurants were still serving breakfast.  Like most of the small towns in the area, Grand Forks Raison D'Etre was mining.  At one point, the huge copper mine at Grand Forks was the largest in the British Empire.  Mining would eventually cease and now the city is known for its fruit orchards.  It's often sunny here.  Locals always quickly point that out to travelers from Vancouver.  I quickly dropped by the municipal library to utilize the free WiFi and met a guy who biked across Canada 30 years ago.

Leaving Grand Forks on Route to Christina Lake
Leaving Grand Forks, I spotted Jolly Jacks Gas Station.  With a name like that, I had to grab a snack.  Jack's reputation definitely lives up to his name.  This guy was awesome.  When I rolled in on my bike to buy an ice cream cone, he said I was his first customer for ice cream for the season.  He really piled the stuff on there.  All I wanted was a scoop but it seems like I got half the pail.  Jack used to live all over the West Coast.  He loves the sunshine in Grand Forks and the attitude of the locals.  After the grand tour of the UV water treatment plant for his well water, he insisted on filling my water bottles with the best water in Grand Forks before I left.

Grand Forks to Christina Lake is a short ride.  Christina Lake sits at the base of Paulson Summit.  Like Greenwood, Christina Lake was home to interned Japanese Canadians during WWII.  Today it sits largely abandoned.  I found a really nice campsite tonight but when I went to Fields to stock up with supplies I had to look for the clerk that works there.  In a lot of these small towns you often have to call the owner of the store to get them to open it for you.  Time definitely travels at a different pace around here.

Distance: 66km
Average Speed: 19.7km/h
Maximum Speed: 51.1km/h
Time: 3:20
Odometer: 550km

8 comments:

  1. Mark, you're making good time. How is the bike holding up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As well as can be expected. Having some problems with the Odometer cutting out so I'm working on it tonight. Also the tires need air everyday because of the weight they carry. Bike, luggage and me would be close to 300lbs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learn a few things from your blog everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been an amazing experience. Can't wait to see what's new around the bend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree with Asmin here. Where do you get all this info from?!

    And the tires losing air? I blame it on the rider :D

    Take it easy bro! I'll chug down a couple of extra beers tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leo, I make it up to make the places sound interesting! I'm going to haul ass to Nelson tomorrow so I can catch the game!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh... the good jack. LOL...

    Those hats look hilarious Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I had an extra one to add to his collection

    ReplyDelete