Rocky Mountains Near Cranbrook

Tuesday 5 July 2011

Day 37, July 5th, Tobermory to Owen Sound, (145km)

Georgian Bluffs Along Georgian Bay
Yesterday, on the Chi-Cheemaun ferry, a local said it best.  "Take the scenic routes it's worth the extra miles."  Today his words came to fruition.  I'm really not in a rush to get to Toronto.  Heading out on highway 6, I found PJ's Country Restaurant for breakfast just outside Ferndale.  PJ was awesome.  Breakfast was huge and she knew the area.  "This is beautiful country," she said.  "If you really want to see it take Highway 9 along the coast.  Just turn left at Ferndale."

Wind Power and Hay Fields
The scenery on Highway 9 turned out to be phenomenal.  This part of Ontario has had optimal weather for growing crops this year.  Canola fields were brilliant yellow and the hay fields were being harvested.  Every now and then, Lake Huron would come into view.  Farmers waved, not many bike tourers go this way.  A farmer filled my water bottles when I stopped for a chat.  The road was a bit longer but its definitely worth the ride.  I would recommend Highway 9 to any bike tourer riding the Bruce peninsula.  

Taking a Break Along Georgian Bay
Eventually, Highway 9 got me to Wiarton.  Stopping by Rexall to top off my supplies, the cashier gave me another great piece of advice.  She suggested taking Highway 1 through Grey County along the coast all the way to Owen Sound.  While it was a lot longer, she said the view of the Georgian Bluffs was worth the ride.  Highway 1 didn't have a shoulder but there were only a few cars along the road.  Skirting the coast, the bluffs appeared on the far side of the lake.  It was so beautiful.  Taking my time, I headed down to the boat launch to take some pictures.  Walking along the beach, I had the whole place to myself.  It was too hot to ride so I jumped in the lake.  What an awesome feeling on a muggy day.  

Highway 1 Rolling Down to the Coast
Wanting to make it to Owen Sound, I moved on.  Highway 1 bends inland over a steep hill close to Indian River.  I climbed the hill and looked back at Georgian Bay.  The fellow who owns the farm must have the most pictures-tic farm in Canada.  Rolling into Indian River, I discovered a General Store.  The lady running the place is famous for having the best butter tarts in Ontario.  People drive here from all over the place to buy them.  I ended up buying a dozen.  There's still a few left for breakfast but they might not make it till morning.  The locals at the trailer park I'm camped at know where I bought them.  

Canola Fields In Full Bloom
Not far from Indian River, is Owen Sound.  It strikes me as a tough and gritty city.  Perhaps I just came through the wrong part of town.  Right down to the architecture, the downtown core reminded me of the Eastside of Vancouver.  There were even a few drug attics out and about.  Lunch down here was really cheap.  For some reason, when you order a slice of pizza they give you two.  The girl at the tourist information center was the friendliest I've met on this trip.  She helped me contact a trailer park outside the city to check to see if camping was available.  Camping was available and Donna gave me a tenting site for half the normal price.  The residents who call this park home are nice people.  A lot of them are down on there luck or older seniors with no where else to go.  I'm kind of incongruous with the surroundings but everyone is so friendly that the place feels like home.  

Hayfields by Owen Sound Along Highway 1
Tomorrow I'm not sure what to do.  I saw a sign saying Toronto is 185km away but there's a lot of hills by Orangeville.  If there's no campgrounds I might push into town.  Highway 10 is reputedly busy without much of a shoulder.  It's gonna be strange being in the big city after spending weeks in some really remote parts of Canada.  It's only during the past couple of days that I've realized this adventure is nearing its end. 

Toronto is so Close Now
Distance: 145km
Average Speed: 21.9km/h
Maximum Speed: 56.6km/h
Time: 6:50
Odometer: 4585km

2 comments:

  1. 185 KM...

    Tomorrow might be the day :) Mark!

    The Canola Fields is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today is the day! I'm lost in Brampton but only 20km away now.

    ReplyDelete