Rocky Mountains Near Cranbrook

Monday 4 July 2011

Day 36, July 4th, Sheguiandah to Tobermory (58km)

Chi-Cheemaun Ferry

Last night the campground was hopping. With Canada Day on Friday and Independence Day on Monday, a lot of people had made it a 4 day weekend. Batman Campground is huge, it must have over a hundred sites. At the rec hall I met a lot of people. Word spread quickly that I was the guy on the bike from Vancouver. Kids love good stories and adults like adventure. So many people came by to say hello.  Throughout this whole trip, I've been lucky to hear a lot of great stories from friendly people.  It was tough to escape the crowd and I didn't get back to my tent until well past midnight. The ferries sailed from South Baymouth at 7:30am or 1:30pm.   I chose to sleep in and catch the later boat. The terminal was only 52km away.

Manitoulin Landscape
In the morning, an old timer told me I would have a breakfast hill to warm up my legs.  It wasn't too bad and after the hill, Manitoulin Island flattened out. This island is the largest freshwater island in the world. You can see the lake along the side and beautiful rolling hay fields.  The roads weren't busy and the construction crews were friendly.  I really enjoyed the ride to the terminal along its quiet roads. The ferry I'm taking takes you from South Baymouth to Tobermory across the channel between Georgian Bay and Lake Huron. It's almost a 2 hour ride.

I got to the terminal an hour before the ferry. It was already full. So many people were heading home after a weekend at the cottage. There's always room for a bike so I purchased a ticket and went to the front of the line. I saw another guy with a couple of bikes. He had been in Manitoulin for a triathlon on the weekend. He gave me directions on how to get to Toronto from Tobermory. I'm only 308km away. “The hills are done,” he proclaimed.  

Chi-Cheemaun Heading Towards Tobermory
The ferry ride was beautiful.  From the cafeteria, you could see the islands in Georgian Bay.  Cutting close to a lighthouse we rounded the bend.  Tobermory appeared in the distance.  I went down to the car deck to untie my bike.   A bunch of bikers came by to say hello.  Bikers seem to relate well to cyclists.  We both know what it's like to have total freedom on the roads.  It's really quite a diverse group out here.  You have the tough acting, foul mouthed red necks riding their choppers but also well spoken doctors looking for new adventures.  On the road we all get along.  I guess the glue that binds us together is the great adventure.  A few days ago, I said you are who you are in the moment when your traveling this way.  As I watched a redneck help a doctor with his bike, that statement couldn't have been more true.  In the city these two would have never talked.  Out here, it was like they had been friends for the past twenty years.

A Few Bikes on the Ferry
First off the ferry, I pulled into the information center.  I didn't want to battle the ferry traffic on a tight country road.  The girl said there wasn't much between the 100km stretch from Tobermory to Owen Sound.  She suggested a campground run by Mennonites at the southern edge of town.  After a week of tough riding, I wanted a break.  It was only a 58km day. Toronto is just over 300km away now.  In so many ways, I don't want the adventure to end.  Tonight I talked with a couple who's son has been posted to Sierra Leon with the Peace Corps.  The pictures were awesome.  Happy 4th of July to all my American friends.  

Leaving South Baymouth
Distance: 58km
Average Speed: 19.6km/h
Maximum Speed: 47.1km/h
Time: 2:58
Odometer: 4440km


1 comment:

  1. Don't want the adventure to end. hehe...

    You can always have new ones!

    ReplyDelete