Rocky Mountains Near Cranbrook

Saturday 21 May 2011

Ortlieb Panniers

What kind of panniers should I buy?  10 years ago my buddy J and I backpacked Europe on a prayer and a whim.  We were broke.  So broke that the first hurdle was getting into England without customs officials asking for proof of funds.  Without knowing it, we both ended up buying the exact same red/black MEC Brio 60 liter backpack back in Canada.  J got to London a few days after I arrived.  My first thought when we met under the Statue of Nelson at Trafalgar Square was how did he get my pack?  I guess when it comes to cheap packs, we both had a good eye for bargains.  Needless to say, MEC no longer sells the red/black Brio 60.  Perhaps with good reason.  There's probably a few people in Europe still looking for two hooligans with  red and black backpacks.   

When it comes to panniers for cycle touring, everyone I ask seems to say Ortlieb is the way to go.  At first I was skeptical... than I found out they were made in Germany.  Aware of the brand, I started noticing them everywhere on my training rides through the city.  Following everyone's good advise, I picked up the following:
Ortlieb Bike Packer Classic (Pair)

Ortlieb Bike Packer Classic 40L Pair: Waterproof rear pannier.  "Waterproof" seem to be the key words for any bike pannier on the wet coast.  Hermetical roll closures on this top loading pack were designed to ensure rain and the elements remain outside the pack.  Other features that drew me to it is the patented mounting system that makes loading and unloading the bike easy. The packs include a rear facing reflective patch. and a shoulder strap that allows tourers to easily convert this pack into a day pack on rest days.

Ortlieb Ultimate 5 Bar Bag
Ortlieb Front Roller Classic 25L Pair: These complimentary waterproof packs offer the same features as the Bike Packer Classic in a smaller package.  My plan is to load heavier items such as my cooking stove and netbook into the front to help balance out the weight of the bike. 

Ortlieb Ultimate 5 Classic Bar Bag: Perhaps its overkill but a bar bag seems like a good idea for widgets that need to be accessed on the go.  From camera's to snacks and maps, there's endless uses for this versatile 7L bar bag.

The front and rear panniers plus the bar bag give me a total of 72L of storage space.  Time will tell whether it's an excessive amount of space considering the goal is to travel light.

No comments:

Post a Comment